Front Room: Updates and My To-Do List
I ended up moving the blue sofa into the living room for Christmas (which looked beautiful) since we didn't have the space in here for the sofa and the tree. But now that all the Christmas decor is down it is finally time to address the front room. Yesterday, I pulled the blue sofa back in here and it looks so pretty, it's exactly what I was envisioning!
I also love the new coffee table, and this gold side table that moves all around my house is so versatile- it works everywhere!
But as good as the sofa is it also leaves me itching to get moving on this space, because it still needs a lot of work, here's what needs to be done:
- We need a new rug, I'm thinking this one, but I haven't pulled the trigger on anything yet.
- Add wall moulding, I'm pretty sure I know what I want, but I need to do some sketching and planning!
- Recover the green chair and ottoman in a pretty neutral fabric, this is going to cost me about $350 for fabric and another $350 for labor so I'm also hunting other chair options down on Marketplace. I'm not sure this chair is worth a $700 investment, it's not the most comfortable thing and I would really love a chair that could fit two people for bedtime book reading. This chair was only $40 at Goodwill so I'm not married to it at all, but I do love that it has an ottoman.
- Repaint the green chest. I've had this thing listed on Marketplace for months now and I've had a few nibbles, but no one was willing to pay what I paid for it, which was $700. Yes, I overpaid and I know it (it's reproduction not an actual antique), I actually still love it so I think I'm going to keep it and paint it blue.
- Curtains. The curtains we have in here are the same curtains we have in the dining room so the fact that they match is nice... but they also go a little yellow for me. I'm not sure where I will land on this one. They are super nice/high quality so I'm tempted to leave them since any replacement I bring in would likely be much lower quality. But maybe this is the time to try out white curtains to see if that's the direction I need to go. There are also some sheers behind the curtains and they have got to go. I'll either swap them out with white or remove them entirely.
- Once the moulding is up I will need to re-address art in this room. I have some DIY botanical prints in here I made a few summers ago that I love, but I may swap some things out, we'll see.
That should get us to the finish line in this room! But... for some reason this room feels so connected with the dining room I can't help but add a few more things to the to-do list because I know I won't be happy with the front room until the dining room is in order too:
- Dining chairs- find something lighter/airier to replace our existing chippendale chairs
- Get a prettier tablecloth in here
- And I think it goes without saying, but if I end up doing something with the curtains in the front room I'll definitely be following suit in here to match.
I'll keep you posted on how this room is shaping up, for now I staged a photo so we can envision what things might look like in the future and I'm so excited!
Want to read more?