Projects to come in 2021
Guys, let's be honest- I may get to all of these projects and then some in 2021 or I may find the perfect piece of furniture on fb marketplace for a room that's not even on my radar and decide to tackle completely different spaces. But right now...these are the rooms that I'm thinking about, that have me excited, and I'm itching to spend some time improving this year (in absolutely no particular order)- so let's get into it!
1. The Kitchen- We don't have the budget for a big kitchen renovation this year and our current kitchen isn't super problematic (this is a photo from the house listing, but other than what's in the cabinets is looks the same).
It was actually one of my favorite spaces in this house when we first saw it and while I would love to one day make some huge changes, this year I want to do a few little band-aid fixes that are going to make the space feel more like us. The lighting needs to go- all of it, swap out the hardware on the cabinets, and update our breakfast nook with new furniture, among other things.
Did you see the chairs I found while thrifting last week? I'm envisioning these around a round table in the breakfast nook, so I've been on the hunt for a pretty pedestal table now.
2. Laundry Room/Mud Room- This room is right behind our kitchen and where we walk into the house from our detached garage.
It's a really great space and pretty functional with some "lockers" and cabinetry that's already built in, but I would love to make it a lot prettier by adding some tile, maybe painting the cabinetry, updating the floor in some way (these brown tiles are in a few places in our home and I want them gone).
3. Finish our main bedroom- I feel like the closer I get to finishing this space the more I envision changing it...I'm pretty close to locking in on curtains, but now I'm second guessing the paint color and we still have two ceiling fans that are super functional, but a huge eyesore...I would love to get this space squared away once and for all...but maybe I'll be tweaking it forever.
- you can see the before photos and mood board here
- when we painted and our first round of progress
- updating the collage wall with a DIY Frame TV
- the latest iteration of our room all decked out for Christmas
4. Finish Lincoln's room- I have high hopes that I can stick a fork in my three year old's room this week- more on that soon! I can't wait to see how it turns out, but in the meantime, here are the progress posts that got us here.
- you can see the before photos and the mood board here
- an update with fresh paint and wallpaper
- the dreamy cloud light fixture we added
- his IKEA dresser that we did a fun woodland animal hack to
5. Finish Phoenix's Room- My eight year old Phoenix's room was pretty much first on the priority list when we moved in last year and I did most of it while I was still running my wedding planning business and therefore most of it went undocumented.
But I really just bought a lot of expensive furniture (that I now regret, but we're keeping) and plopped it down.
I did do a few fun projects (wallpapering his closet) and have plans to re-paint, hang a few fun things on the wall so we can finally feel like his room is completely finished.
6. Finish the front room- This is the first room you see when you walk in our home and right now it doesn't look terrible, but now most of that furniture moved into our bedroom so I'm on the hunt for some more pieces for in here.
I would also like to swap out the curtains, add molding to the walls, and maybe do something with the ceiling...this room also connects to what I'm hoping will see more progress this year which is the...
7. Dining Room- I don't think we'll finish this room this year, but I do hope we make some headway.
I want to wallpaper above the wainscoting, add an antique gold chandelier, get a real table (this is a card table with a linen on it-ha!), and also a real buffet for behind the table. The main reason I don't think we'll finish is because I'm just waiting to find the right furniture pieces on Facebook Marketplace or in thrift/antique stores...I could find them tomorrow or I it could be a few years. I also keep waffling on wallpaper choices in here.
8. More progress in the living room- this is a room I've conceptualized a few times and I know I want to add curtains and molding, update the fireplace (more brown tiles!), but I haven't landed on a super solid direction for this room yet. Right now we're dealing with a pottery barn sofa and some pottery barn chairs that we all picked very deliberately for this space, but now it's looking a bit generic...
I also struggle with the fact that this room isn't symmetrical and we have the built-ins only on one side and then a cased opening on the other. Which leads to the kitchen, if we closed it off we would lose the flow throughout our home, but it does still irk me...not sure there is a solution. I do love the one built-in, just wish the room felt a bit more symmetrical.
9. Main Bedroom Closet- The last project I have rolling around in my mind is our closet. It's a nice large closet (much larger than our last home), but it still leaves a lot to be desired.
It's technically the closet under the stairs (see that diagonal ceiling) just expanded a bit and it's just a struggle point for me. It feels ugly and like it's constantly disorganized...I don't have enough space for my photography gear, shoes, hats, or vacuum...I would love to plan this space out better and put in cabinetry for a more custom look in there.
But even though this space irks me, it's not a huge deal- no one sees it but me and it's semi-functional so I can definitely see this space getting pushed to the back burner for another year...we'll see.
So that's what I'm thinking for this year! Like I said, I may change my mind and shift gears completely, but those are the projects that are making me want to pin, sketch, and put mood boards together right now! Do you have any home projects you are hoping to tackle this year?